Celebrating You, The Spa, is an upscale provider of premium residential spa services. Designed for the cultivated consumer who prefers the repose of a spa without leaving the privacy and comfort of one's surroundings, Celebrating You offers the ultimate spa experience...delivered. From perfect pedicures and manicures, to signature facials, and rejuvenating massages, we are the "Luxury Day Spa Without Walls".
8 Worst Skin Care Ingredients: Our All Natural At-Home Facial Services Avoid Them AllPosted by admin, Mon, 08/31/2009 - 19:52
“Natural” is the trend in skin care (and just about everything else) these days. Yet, are the skin care products you use every day really natural? And what about the facial services you love so much? Did you know that the FDA defines a product as natural if it at least 2% of the ingredients are of natural origin? Yes, just 2%!
Considering that our skin is a living, breathing part of our bodies (not an impermeable barrier), it is no wonder that we are drawn to natural skin care products. When it comes to caring for your skin, natural ingredients are far superior to synthetic; yet many cosmetic companies “greenwash” their customers into thinking their products are all natural when in fact they may contain just a small amount of botanical extracts mixed into the usual toxic base materials.
8 Skin Care Ingredients to Avoid
The all natural skin care product maker, Naturopathica, considers the following ingredients among the worst culprits in toxic skin care. Another reason to check your labels!
1. DEA (diethanolamine), MEA (momoethanolamine), TEA (triethanolamine): These are commonly found in cleansers, shampoos, and body washes and act as emulsifiers and foaming agents. According to a 1998 research study by the National Toxicology Program, these chemicals affect hormone function and are known to produce cancer-causing nitrates and nitrosamines in laboratory animals. The FDA is currently in the process of evaluating the link between DEA and cancer in humans. (Will often appear as Cocamide DEA in the list of ingredients.)
2. Phthalates (Diethyl Phthalate – DEP): In May of 2002, 72 name brand of off-the-shelf beauty products were tested for phthalates and 3/4 of the products tested positive. Phthalates are a large family of industrial chemicals that are linked to birth defects in the male reproductive system. They are commonly found in fragrance, nail polish, deodorant, and body lotion.
3. Imidazolidinyl Urea & DM Hydantoin: These are the most commonly used preservatives after parabens. They are the second most identified cosmetic preservatives causing contact dermatitis according to the American Academy of Dermatology. These preservatives also release fomaldehyde, a chemical that can cause skin irritations as well as health problems such as migraines, allergies and asthma.
4. Petrochemical Ingredients: Petrochemical distillates have been banned in Europe. They are inexpensive to use as base materials, but can be irritating to the skin and in some cases toxic.
5. Paraben Preservatives: Developed in the 1930s, synthetic Methyl, Ethyl and Propyl Parabens are derived from benzoic acid and considered effective and economical since they are inexpensive to use as both cosmetics and food-grade preservatives. However, recently this preservative system has come into question as these substances have been found in cancerous tissues, especially breast tissue. The greatest concern of these preservatives focuses on their ability to mimic estrogen in the body. More research needs to be done to see if similar exposure to humans produces similar findings, yet it is estimated that 99% of all cosmetic and body care products contain some form of paraben preservatives.
6. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) & Sodium Laureth Sulfate: These ingredients are used as detergent surfactants to remove dirt from the skin. These compounds are found in car wash soaps and engine degreasers and yet are commonly found in many shampoos and shower gels. SLS is very irritating to skin and can be toxic to eyes. It has been shown to cause severe epidermal changes to the area of the skin of mice to which it was applied, according to the Journal of the American College of Toxicology.
7. Fragrance: Fragrances can be very sensitizing to the skin and many of the compounds in fragrance are toxic and can cause headaches, dizziness or nausea.
8. FD&C Color Pigments: Often made from coal tar, these artificial colorings can cause skin sensitivity and may be carcinogenic. If these 8 ingredients aren’t enough to make you think twice about your skin care products, we don’t know what is.
Luckily, our DC-Area Estheticians use only Naturopathica products, which are free of synthetic solvents, thickeners, emulsifiers and preservative systems. Our formulations contain no petroleum-based ingredients, artificial dyes or fragrances and are fortified with therapeutic essential oils and herbs. Naturopathica never tests its products on animals.
When you schedule an at-home facial service with Celebrating You, you’ll experience the benefits of a soothing facial performed with all-natural Naturopathica products. Experience at-home facials in DC, MD, or VA today by scheduling a spa treatment online or calling (800) 399-9557.